Renault cost me title, says Massa

he Brazilian was leading last year's Singapore Grand Prix when Nelson Piquet Jr crashed deliberately, which helped Fernando Alonso to win the race.

"All of what happened was robbery. Regarding the race nothing has happened, the result stays the same. That's not right," said Massa.

"It changed the championship. I lost by one point."

He was beaten to the title on the final race of the season by McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, who went on to finish third in Singapore.

Massa failed to score in that race after a disastrous pit-stop during the safety car period in which he drove away with the fuel hose still attached.

Piquet Jr revealed earlier this year that he had deliberately crashed in order to give Alonso a better chance of winning.

Renault were given a permanent suspended ban and former team boss Flavio Briatore has been banned for life for his involvement.

Piquet Jr was given immunity by motorsport's governing body, the FIA, in return for testifying.

Massa is convinced the punishments were too lenient.

"I have seen in football how a referee took money to throw a game and all the matches he influenced were annulled," he said.

"The team responsible were relegated. Here they just sent Briatore home. I don't understand it and I don't think it was right."

Massa is recovering from a life-threatening head injury he suffered at the Hungarian Grand Prix earlier this year. He is set to return in 2010, when he will drive alongside Alonso.

Hamilton wished Massa well in his recovery, but dismissed any suggestion that the Singapore result should be annulled.

"First, I have to say that it's good that he's recovering and back on his feet and back to his normal self and feeling good," said the Briton.

"I think all I can say is that it was a tough season, things happened, there were lots and lots of 'what ifs' throughout the season, so I'm a bit surprised to hear him say that, to be honest.

"I believe we had a fair battle throughout the season, so I'm a bit surprised."

bbcsport